In 1853, Lower Milford split off from Upper Milford. Today, the municipal building houses the Board of Supervisors as well as the offices of planning, zoning, public works and the tax collectors office. The police are also housed in the building but have a separate entrance. The Board of Supervisors meets monthly, as does zoning, planning, recreational space and historical preservation boards. All meetings are open to the public.