It's almost time for one of the biggest events of the year in the Southern Lehigh area—Coopersburg Community Day—and this year one of the highlights will be hot air balloon rides.
The 22nd annual Coopersburg Community Day will be held this Saturday, Sept. 21 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Southern Lehigh Living Memorial Park, Route 309 and Fairmount Street in Coopersburg.
Admission and parking are free, and shuttle parking will be available at the nearby LUTRON parking lot at Fairmount Street and Jacoby Road, organizers announced in a news release.
The day's opening ceremony will begin with a performance by the Southern Lehigh High School Band and an appearance by Southern Lehigh’s Erin Schantzenbach, who was recently crowned the 2013 Great Allentown Fair Queen.
Entertainment offerings throughout the day will include performances by the Macungie Band, the Sarah Ayers Blues Band, Mike Brusko-93 Turbo and the Irish step-dancers of O’Grady Quinlan Academy.
The Lehigh Valley Health Care Medivac Helicopter is expected to fly in at around 2 p.m., with hot air balloon rides offered from 10:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.
Also strolling the Community Day grounds will be FeRROUS the IronPig mascot, the Geryville Hobo Band, the Donald Pearce Barber Shop Quartet, the City of Bethlehem Bagpipe Band, Phydeaux’s Flea Circus, Bob Swaim and his bicycle collection, and the Victorian High Wheelers.
The Coopersburg Historical Society has sponsored Community Day since 1992, and it benefits more than 40 Southern Lehigh Community organizations, the news release said.
Highlights of the day will include:IN THE LOWER FIELD
· 10:30 a.m. Hot Air Balloon Rides
· 2 p.m. Lehigh Valley Health Network MedEvac HelicopterIN THE ENTERTAINMENT TENT
· 10 a.m. Opening Ceremony with Southern Lehigh High School Band
· 11 a.m. O’Grady Quinlan Academy – Irish Music and Step Dancers
· 12:15 p.m. Sarah Ayers Blues Band
· 1:30 p.m. The Macungie Band
· 3 p.m. Mike Brusko – 93 TurboACTIVITIES FOR CHILDREN
· FREE snacks
· FREE crafts
· Candy Land and face-painting
· Obstacle course
· Mock Turtle Marionettes
· Petting zoo
· Pony rides
· 19th Century mule-drawn carousel
· Giant Bounce-n-Slide
· Balloon artist
· Cliff Sunflower “Dancing with the Honey Bees”OTHER HIGHLIGHTS
- More than 40 community organization booths
- Fine arts and crafts (more than 55 booths)
- Antique cars, engines & tractors
- Flea market
- Lots of great food