Lehigh County police departments collected 944.5 pounds of unused and expired medications during the fourth National Take Back Day drug collection event on Sept. 29, 2012.
A press release from the district attorney's office said medications were collected at 16 sites in Lehigh County.
In total, Upper Saucon, Lower Milford and Coopersburg collected 80 pounds of unused and expired drugs. Upper Saucon police collected the most pounds in Southern Lehigh at their site, a total of 40 pounds of medication.
“The public has overwhelmingly responded to the collections,” said Lehigh County District Attorney James B. Martin in the press release.
The Drug Enforcement Administration said the medications that are collected are taken to an incinerator where they are burned.
Below is a list of the 16 collection sites in Lehigh County and the amounts collected at each:
- Alburtis Police Department, 260 Franklin St., Alburtis, 14 pounds
- Catasauqua Police Department, 118 Bridge St., Catasauqua, 10 pounds
- Emmaus Police Department, 400 Jubilee St., Emmaus, 139 pounds
- Fountain Hill Police Department, 941 Long St., Fountain Hill, 10 pounds
- Giant supermarket, 3015 W. Emmaus Ave. Allentown police and Allentown Health Bureau collected medications. 110.5 pounds
- Giant supermarket, 216 E. Fairmont St., Route 9, Coopersburg. Coopersburg police collected medications. 25 pounds
- Walgreen’s Pharmacy, 1702 W. Tilghman St. Allentown police and Allentown Health Bureau collected medications, 173.5 pounds
- Lower Milford Township Police Department, 7607 Chestnut Hill Church Road, Coopersburg, 15 pounds
- Macungie Police Department, 21 Locust St., Macungie, 30 pounds
- Salisbury Township Police Department, 3000 S. Pike Ave., Salisbury Township, 9 pounds
- Slatington Police Department, 125 S. Walnut St., Slatington, 53.5 pounds
- South Whitehall Township Police Department, 4444 Walbert Ave., South Whitehall Township, 246 pounds
- Pennsylvania State Police, Bethlehem Station, 2930 Airport Road, Hanover Township, 9.5 pounds
- 5500 Camp Meeting Road, Center Valley, 40 pounds
- Westgate Mall, main entrance, 2285 Schoenersville Road. Bethlehem police collected medications. 31 pounds; and
- Whitehall Township Police Department, 3731 Lehigh St., Whitehall Township, 28.5 pounds.