To prepare for a winter storm you should do the following:
1. Before winter approaches, make sure you have the following supplies:
a. Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways.
b. Have generators, snow shovels and other snow removal equipment ready and tested
c. Check your heating fuel, and batteries for radios and portable TV's.
d. Check your food, your pet's food, and prescription levels.
e. Have adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
2. Make a family communications plan. Your family may not be together when the storm hits, so it is important to know how you will contact one another, how you will get back together.
3. Listen to a NOAA Weather Radio or other local news channels for critical information. Be alert to changing weather conditions.
4. Minimize travel. If travel is necessary, keep a disaster supplies kit in your vehicle.
5. Don't forget your pets! Bring your pets/companion animals inside during the storm. Move other animals or livestock to sheltered areas with non-frozen drinking water.